iGPS Embedded Systems Engineer
Job title: iGPS Embedded Systems Engineer
Function level: Will be determined at a later date
Work location: Cambridge, Ontario Canada
Directly reports to: Engineering Manager
Company: NMI Cost center: Engineering
1. JOB PURPOSE:
iGPS is a large volume measurement and tracking system consisting of a constellation of IR transmitters and receiving sensors. The system is capable of tracking many points in large volumes of space and providing dynamic position measurement of objects in both position and pose.
This position is for a Systems Engineer focused on internal/external customers and embedded software. This position is based in Cambridge, Ontario. The iGPS Systems Engineer is responsible for the integrity of the iGPS product line from a technical point of view and will work to complement the existing Systems Engineering staff.
2. KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
• Point of contact for hardware unit testing. This includes maintenance and development of test procedures and processes and technical support for non-conforming test results. This is expected to account for 20% of efforts (1 day/week).
• Pre and Post-sales customer support primarily focused on embedded and software related issues. This includes site visits as well as system analysis and corrective actions. This is expected to account for 20% of efforts (1 day/week).
• Perform new development and maintenance for product line embedded software. This is expected to account for 40% of efforts (2 days/week).
• Remaining effort will be split among new product development, System R&D, Development of Specifications and other issues assigned by the Engineering Manager.
• Willingness and propensity to learn.
• Ability to translate high level use cases (requirements) into actionable specifications.
• Willingness and ability to travel and work internationally. It is estimated that this position will require approximately 2 weeks/quarter of travel.
• Technical strengths in digital logic, embedded programming, electronics, product design.
• Strong English communication skills (both written and verbal). Other languages are an asset.
• Proficiency in C/C++, C#, Matlab and embedded Linux (Ubuntu) required.
• Experience developing embedded software on ARM based system processors (ARM PowerPC, IA32/64) as well as low cost microcontrollers (8051, PIC, AVR, MSP430)
• Experience developing and strengthening boot-loaders (U-Boot, RedBoot) and low-level device drivers an asset
• Experience with HW/SW integration based on a variety of interfaces and protocols including, but not limited to, USB, Ethernet, TCP/IP, SPI, I2C, NAND Flash
• Experience with interfacing with FPGAs and how to achieve reliable communication
• Experience in the metrology industry an asset.
Education: A post-secondary degree in Systems, Electrical, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
Compensation: A competitive compensation package will be provided based on the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications.
• Broad minded and well informed in order to act quickly and resolutely
Seek new knowledge:
• Pioneer new potential through self-study and insatiable curiosity
• Harmonize diverse skills by thinking out of the box and communicating effectively with other
• Work with diligence and sincerity as a responsible individual
• Welcome and value different talents, perspectives and diverse cultures
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
If the job is physically demanding, this should be stated in the job description. For example: lift heavy objects on a regular basis; to stand for extended periods of time.
Approved by: Signature of the person with the authority to approve the job description
Date upon which the job description was approved
Date when the job description was last reviewed
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin or because he or she is an individual with a disability or disabled veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran, recently separated veteran, or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran, or thereinafter referred collectively as “protected veterans.
If interested in applying for this position, please send a completed Application for Employment and Self Identification forms to Cristy Noch in Human Resources.