Senior Mechanical Engineer
JOB TITLE: Sr. Mechanical Engineer
REPORTS TO: Hardware Development Manager
CO: NMI (Manassas, VA)
As part of the Advanced Development Engineering Team in Manassas the primary responsibility for this position is the design and development of the mechanical systems in the Laser Radar. The Laser Radar is a combination of focusing optics and a gimbal system to steer the beam. The accuracies are best in class and require processes that can be managed to less than 2 microns. The gimbal system requires the advanced use of ball bearing technology. The designs developed will be taken into production and will designed for harsh environments
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
With minimal supervision
- · Design and Test low friction bearing systems for the Laser Radar Product
- · Provide analysis of those systems to include bearing performance (wobble, backlash, running torque, static torque, stiffness).
- · Design systems which include both off the shelf bearings and custom bearings.
- · Assist in the design and structural modeling of high precision opto-mechanical system.
- · Provide input in the Continuous Improvement Process in the facility
- · Mechanical Engineering Degree (Masters or PhD preferred)
- · Experience with Solidworks including FEA analysis
- · Experience with Matlab and Simulink
- · Demonstrable knowledge of precision bearing systems
- · Knowledge of advance bearing modeling
- · Knowledge of the design of bearing races
- · Knowledge of machine shop practices associated with bearing race manufacturing
- · Knowledge of advanced mechanical systems: servos, positioning systems, piezoelectric devices, servo tuning, position feedback devices, and bearings.
- · Knowledge of gimbal systems.
- · Must have strong communication skills both verbal and in writing in English
- · Experience working in a team environment
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin or because he or she is an individual with a disability or disabled veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran, recently separated veteran, or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran, or thereinafter referred collectively as “protected veterans”.