JOB TITLE: Mechanical Engineer
REPORTS TO: Hardware Development Manager
• This position, working as part of the Laser Radar development team, is responsible for taking the lead or assists in all designs associated with rotating low-friction bearings and providing design analysis of mechanical structures including but not limited to FEA analysis. Must lead or assist in the design and structural modeling of high precision opto-mechanical system.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
• Design and Test low friction bearing systems for the Laser Radar Product
• Design systems which include both off the shelf bearings and custom bearings.
• Assist in the design and structural modeling of high precision opto-mechanical system.
• Provide analysis of those systems to include bearing performance (wobble, backlash, running torque, static torque, stiffness).
• Analysis for reliability testing of overall unit level and system level for Laser Radar product.
Required Degree: Mechanical Engineering Degree (Masters or PhD preferred)
• Bachelor’s with 3-5 relevant years of experience or Master/Phd with 1-3 years experience
• Demonstrable knowledge of precision bearing systems
• Knowledge of advance bearing modeling
• Knowledge of the design of bearing races
• Knowledge of machine shop practices associated with bearing race manufacturing
• Knowledge of advanced mechanical systems: servos, positioning systems, piezoelectric devices, servo tuning, position feedback devices, and bearings.
• Knowledge of gimbal systems.
• Must have strong communication skills in English, both written and verbal.
• Experience working in a team environment
• Open to new innovative ideas, processes and technology
• Pro-active interaction with production personnel to understand processes and techniques and constantly try to apply skills for optimizing current process by sensing shop floor needs.
• Provide input in the Continuous Improvement Process in the facility
Seek new knowledge:
• Identify and attend seminars and training that are beneficial for role and product.
• Identify latest trends in design principals, components and advanced techniques which are applicable to projects on Laser Radar.
• Must have strong verbal and written communication skills in English
• Tailor reports and communications appropriately to ensure deliver of your message.
• Develop active listening skills.
• Work with diligence and sincerity as a responsible individual
• Treat others with respect
• •Refrain from gossip mongering and rumor spreading
• Welcome and value different talents, perspectives and diverse cultures
• Avoid stereotypes and prejudices
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Ability to lift 20-30lbs rarely.
• Ability to move the Laser Radar around for testing, while it is on a stand with wheels.
• Occasionally needs to use/support machine shop technicians working the in-house machine shop with drilling/milling/cutting/polishing machines with appropriate safety gear.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin or because he or she is an individual with a disability or disabled veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran, recently separated veteran, or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran, or thereinafter referred collectively as “protected veterans”.